Jeremy Fejedelem
Air Force AF 3-6
Army West Point ARMY 7-2
Score By Quarters
Team 1st 2nd 3rd 4th F
AF Air Force 0 0 6 8 14
ARMY Army West Point 7 7 0 3 17

Game Recap: Football |

Air Force rally falls short in 17-14 loss at Army

Donald Hammond III passed for 120 yards and rushed for 30 and a score

Post Game Interviews

WEST POINT, N.Y.  -- Army used a ball-control offense early and then held off Air Force late for a 17-14 win over the Falcons, Saturday, Nov. 3, at a sold-out Michie Stadium. The Commander-in-Chief's Trophy will stay at West Point as Air Force split its service academy games this season.

After Air Force won the toss and deferred, Army held the ball for nearly the entire first quarter. The Black Knights opened the game with a 21-play, 75-yard drive that ended with a one-yard run by Darnell Woolfolk.

Late in the second quarter, Woolfolk broke a career-long 52-yard run on fourth-and-one to set up a Kelvin Hopkins' six-yard touchdown run. The Black Knights took a 14-0 lead into halftime.

Air Force (3-6 overall, 1-4 MW) got on the board late in the third quarter. After the Falcon defense held the Black Knights in Army territory, Jeremy Fejedelem blocked a punt, giving the Falcons the ball at the 34-yard line. The offense responded with a nine-play, 34-yard drive as Donald Hammond III, who replaced Isaiah Sanders after halftime, scored on a one-yard run. Air Force missed the extra point for a 14-6 lead after three quarters.
Army (7-2 overall) answered with a 13-play, 62-yard drive that consumed 7:19 off the clock and culminated in a John Abercrombie 30-yard field goal as the home team built a 17-6 lead with 8:35 remaining.

The Falcons responded with a scoring drive of their own. With the ball at midfield, Hammond threw a short pass, against-the-grain, to Cole Fagan and the fullback took it 30 yards to the Army 14. Three plays later, Joseph Saucier took a pitch around the right side for his second rushing touchdown of the season. Saucier then converted the two-point conversion to cut the Army lead to 17-14 with 5:19 remaining.

The Falcon defense came up with another stop, forcing an Army punt that Andrew Smith returned to the Air Force 34-yard line. A 19-yard completion to Geraud Sanders took the Falcons out to midfield, but Army defense held. On fourth-and-three, Hammond was stopped, giving the ball back to Army with 1:10 remaining. The Black Knights ran out the clock for their second straight win over the Falcons.

Air Force returns home to host New Mexico in a Mountain West Conference game, Saturday, Nov. 10, at 1:30 pm MT at Falcon Stadium.
Print Friendly Version